Planning Ahead – New Year 2024 Issue
Welcome to our New Year 2024 issue of Planning ahead.
We enter 2024 with some trepidation: the economy is in the doldrums, we have the NPPF reforms and the prospect of a General Election, probably in the autumn. There is too much uncertainty which no one likes.
At Chelgate Local, we finished 2023 on a high note with several new projects started, with more in the pipeline. We have welcomed three new colleagues with three further appointments to announce in the coming months.
This New Year issue of Planning Ahead has a political overview, a review of some of the NPPF reforms, a look at local consultation and how to mobilise the silent majority, how park homes could help with housing supply, and profiles of our new colleagues.
- The Economy, NPPF and Elections Good and bad news for the economy, NPPF reforms and the prospect of a General Election all add to the current uncertainty in the economy. More…/
- NPPF Reforms As we predicted, some of the proposals have been softened but will the government achieve its 300,000 homes per year manifesto promise in an election year? More…/
- Motivating the silent majority If local communities are to become more involved in planning, a more robust and scientific approach needs to be taken to consultation. More…/
- Green belt, rural and protected landscapes Jonathan Ray has joined Chelgate Local from National Parks UK. More…/
- Park homes could help solve the housing crisis Park Homes are becoming increasingly popular with 85,000 park homes on 2,000 sites across the country. More…/
- Andrew Saywell A senior Cabinet Member in one of the UK’s largest local authorities, Andrew brings more than fifteen years of experience in local government and public engagement as he joins Chelgate Local. More…/
- Local Plan Updates We have updated our dedicated webpage that brings you Local Plan updates for : Basildon, Brentwood, Castle Point, East Cambridgeshire, Elmbridge, Epping Forest, Harlow, Maidstone, Medway, Mole Valley, Rochford, Runnymede, Sevenoaks, Spelthorne, Thurrock, Uttlesford, Watford, Waverly and many more…
- Elections 2024 We have opened our elections page for 2024 which promises local and general elections. We will be holding our usual General Election competition again, with fantastic prizes for those who guess the nearest vote share of the winning party – more details to follow.